It is a common misconception that you never have to clean your gutters after installing gutter guards. Even the very best gutter guard systems require cleaning, though the better the system, the less frequent the cleaning required. Over time, debris will build up inside the gutters that should be hosed out. It’s an easy task, but if left neglected it can cause damage to your home.
There are many different types of gutter protections systems. Generally they fall into 2 main categories, Insertion or Ski-Slope. Within these categories you also find different materials or installation methods used.
Step-by-step gutter cleaning guide
When cleaning gutters you should have the following equipment:
- Garden gloves
- Safety glasses
- Garden hose with pistol-grip nozzle or a pressure cleaner
1. Set up the ladder and safely secure it at the ladder’s base or have someone holding it for you while you work. Inspect that it’s sturdy and that the steps are in good condition.
2. Put on your safety glasses and garden gloves in order to protect yourself from the dirt, animal waste and pests that may be living within the debris. Also wear comfortable, non-slip footwear.
3. Climb the ladder and bring the bucket up with you. A good rule is to maintain 3 points of contact with the ladder.
4. Use the bucket to remove debris that’s on top and around the gutter guard.
5. Rinse out the gutters with the hose or pressure cleaner. To rinse the gutter you might have to remove the gutter guards. Some gutter guards will remain attached to the gutter while you work. Gutter inserts can be lifted out and placed on the roof. If you have installed Leaf Stopper you don’t have to remove the gutter guard. If you are maintaining your Leaf Stopper system correctly, you won’t need to remove anything. Simply use the water pressure to hose through the mesh. Alternatively, ensure you have installed an EasyAc Panel that allows a hose to rinse out the gutters without disturbing the Leaf Stopper system.
6. Re-attach the gutter guard (if they’ve been removed) or close the EasyAc Panel.
7. Check that the downspouts are not clogged and that they are effectively carrying the water away from the foundation of your house.
If you live in a house that is 2 or even 3 stories tall, you should consider hiring a gutter cleaning service as it’s very dangerous cleaning gutters that high off the ground.
Contact Leaf Stopper
If you have any questions regarding gutter guard maintenance or our Easy Access Panel contact Leaf Stopper today on 1300 334 333!